Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Another Day in Salamanca

Annaleigh:

I went to the plaza today. I went to the store today.

Autumn:

As you can probably guess from Annaleigh’s entry, there’s not too much to report today. We caught an earlier bus this morning, so Annaleigh had a few minutes to play on a playground before I dropped her off at camp.


I went to the conference, where I attended three interesting sessions: one about the history of food and its influence on Hispanic culture, one about the use of social media and other technological tools in the classroom, and a third about incorporating Social Justice into World Language curriculum. Then I went and picked up Annaleigh and we went home to have lunch and rest. 

Afterwards, we walked to the local supermarket to pick up some fruit, yogurt, and sandwich supplies (what would have cost me 20 dollars in the U.S. cost me 8 euros here). We dropped off our groceries at the apartment and made the trek over the Roman bridge and into the city center. We got ice cream at my favorite place in Plaza Mayor before doing some shopping. We wandered in and out of stores, and although I didn’t by myself any clothes, Annaleigh wound up with some new (hopefully comfortable) shoes. The Velcro on her current sneakers no longer works, and it’s driving us both crazy because she has to keep stopping to refasten them. We also went into Alehop, my favorite accessory store, where each of us bought a fan and I got a water bottle. By that point, we were ready for dinner, so I found a tapas bar outside of the tourist area. For another 8 euros, Annaleigh had a bottle of water and a chicken sandwich, and I had two tapas and a huge tinto de verano. It always amazes me how inexpensive food is here if you know where to look.

With full bellies, we slowly made our way back to the apartment, were we popped out onto one of our three balconies for a few minutes before Annaleigh’s bedtime.


I put Annaleigh to bed, and then managed to turn on enough appliances at once to make the power go out. Fortunately, a quick text to our host was all I needed, as he informed me where the fuse box was and what switch to flip within about 60 seconds. All is well now. ¡Buenas noches!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like Annaleigh had a great day Tuesday and always you took some great pictures. I am impressed by the overall depth in food she has gotten to try on the trip. The balcony pictures are ridicolously awesome as always.

    The conference topics you chose were interesting and I look forward to hear more about the impacts of social media and tools in the classroom. Of course impressed you were able to regain power (after of course being the reason it went out). Obviously your esposo is not capable of that task.

    Glad I can post and love and miss you guys so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also great picture of mommy and annaleigh smiling and looking so happy.

    ReplyDelete